Part of the Prime Vice Studios mission is to share knowledge about the sequential art medium and encourage artists to always develop their talent. With this in mind I’ve established the Seqa Dojo™ (Short for Sequential Art Dojo).
The SEQA DOJO Web series
This web series is a continuation of the Prime Vice Studios tutorials proudly sponsored by Comic Draw. Please enjoy, participate, and share.
Freestyle Drawing Tutorial
Freestyle drawing is an excellent exercise to get started in the creative process.
Sometimes getting started is the hardest part of making comics. We get caught up with our ideas in our head instead of working through them in tangible forms. Freestyle drawing helps you get started.
How to get started:
1. Set up an uninterrupted time slot for art time.
2. Set your ritual. Have a place to draw and collect everything that you need and prepare to play.
3. Have a surface & tool. You can’t do any drawing without something to do it with and something to do it on. Open up your Comic Draw app or at least have a pencil & pad to scribble on.
4. Fill the surface. Get your hands going and don’t stop until the page is filled or time runs out.
This is a good opportunity for abstract mark making and/or working through an idea.
Look at something or someone and draw it from observation.
Jot down letters, thoughts, ideas, phrases or words.
Sketch out geometric shapes and patterns. This is useful for figuring out rhythms and designs.
Understand and push the limits of your tool.
5. The last and most important step. Have Fun! If you are not having fun you are not doing this activity right.
After you’ve filled a page or two please feel free to share your work with me. I’d like to see what you come up with.
Thank you for checking out this tutorial. I hope you’ve found it useful and inspiring. Below you’ll find a downloadable cheat sheet of this tutorial and additional resources that you can purchase.
Prime Vice Studios is available to book for private lessons and workshops.
Loso Perez, MFA
The PV Blog
Read about our projects, experiments and the fun things involving sequential art writing and drawing!